Friday, November 07, 2003

Gig Diary: Grind It Out

And grind it is. The second of what's going to be three gigs in four weeks—it's almost like having a regular job...

Another show at Jitters. Not a lot to say about this one: I figure it'll be sparesely attended, useful mainly for keeping me on my toes and exposing the weaknesses of my set list, setting up my return to Leaf & Bean next week.

SET I

Sweet Thing (Van Morrison)
My Baby Just Cares For Me (Nina Simone)
I Wish I Were In Love Again (Rodgers & Hart)
Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan)
Can't Help Falling In Love (Elvis Presley)
Autumn Leaves (English lyric by Johnny Mercer)
Purple Jesus (J. Fear)
Addicted To Love (Robert Palmer)
Poison Girl (Chris Whitley)
She Caught The Katy (Taj Mahal)
Spoonful (Howlin' Wolf)
Werewolves Of London (Warren Zevon)
Every Little Kiss (Bruce Hornsby)
Earn Enough For Us (XTC)
Whole Of The Moon (The Waterboys)
High & Dry (Radiohead)
Now Be Thankful (Fairport Convention)
Join Together (The Who)
SET II
Winter Song (Lindisfarne)
These Days (Jackson Browne)
Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)
The Walking Song (J. Fear)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Lovers In A Dangerous Time (Bruce Cockburn)
What Is Life (George Harrison)
Downtown (Petula Clark)
After The Axe Has Fallen (J. Fear)
Tracks Of My Tears (Smokey Robinson)
God Bless' The Child (Billie Holiday)
Angel Of Harlem (U2)
Ring Of Fire (Cash)
Lullaby Of London (The Pogues)
Mixing it up a little here. I like to vary my lists from show to show: in any two consecutive shows, at least a quarter of the songs will be different. In this case, about a quarter of them are actually brand new, never played before played to an audience.

A set within a set: as a bone for Gary, a blues mini-set within the first set ("Purple J" through "Werewolves"). Feel the love, man: see what I do for you?

Introducing another original into the set, too, bringing it up to three.

Finally: the sets are uneven, time to allow me to take my break when the lunar eclipse will be at its most spectacular. A man's got to have his priorities straight.

No comments: