Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Memory Hole

Though it's not immediately apparent from the front page, I've recently added maybe ten thousand words to this site. Blogger now allows you to backdate new posts, and I've been using this functionality to update my online Gig Diary, reconstructing the paper version electronically.

This sort of back-filling gave me all sorts of ethical fantods, I must admit: It smacked of Orwell's Ministry of Truth literally rewriting history to support the current line that we have always been at war with Eurasia Eastasia. But if this web log is to be a resource (at least for me) and a place of records (ditto), then I'll need proper chronological ordering of events in the Archives.

It's a hard thing to tell the Truth as it happens. If I've got to fudge the timestamp on my entries, is that not worthwhile in the cause of telling my story straight and with the benefit of hindsight?

You tell me. In the meantime, enjoy some thoughts on returning to the gigging game, musings on the process of performance planning, lyrics and notes for three original songs, and four new show reports.

No comments: