Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thirty Days (More Or Less)

It’s been about a month since I signed up for LiveJournal, and started experiencing the wonders of granular privacy firsthand, in the form of reading other people’s friends-locked posts, and let me tell you: I still don’t get it.

Most locked entries I’ve read have been about things like shopping and going to the gym; about the projects we’re working on and the weird shit we find on the Web; about how we don’t like the way our feet look in those shoes. With the exception of a very few posts expressing bemusement over peers or colleagues, there’s been nothing that seems (to me) to warrant the lock.

If someone put a gun to my head and barked, “Pastiche!” this very minute, I’d say that the typical friends-locked post looks something like this...

Went down to K-Mart to pick up some underwear. On my way back to the back of the store, I passed a huge display of high-fiber cereal. It just struck me funny, to put that right up front. Then it occurred to me that maybe if I ate more fiber in my diet, I wouldn’t need to buy underwear so often.
Now, see, to me, that’s not only a public entry: that’s the A material, right there. Front page, above the fold.

No comments: